How to change the color of leather couch – There are various reasons for you to change your couch and sofa color, the color of your couch already faded, or you are bored with the old color and want to change to a new one.
Another reason to change the color of the sofa is due to special moments such as Christmas, Thanksgiving or moments where all your big family gather together.
For you that experience faded or discolored leather sofas and wondering, can a leather sofa that faded be repainted? Yes, it is possible to repaint your couch to make it like a new one. You also can change it with your favorite colors.
You don’t need a professional upholstery service to change the color of the sofa. You can repaint it by yourself with affordable cost. You can easily find sofa paint kits on Amazon complete with instruction manuals that perfect for beginners
If you are interested in changing the color and asking What is the best Color for a leather sofa? Here are the easiest way to change leather couch color step by step.
1. Choose new color of leather couch
Not all colors are the same, did you know that every color has its own meaning.If you are confused and looking for inspiration to change the color of your sofa, here are the favorite leather sofa colors:
- Black, the reason this color is the most favorite because the black symbolizes luxury and elegance. In addition, black leather is not easily stained like white leather. The black sofa color is very suitable to be combined with the white wall color because it looks more elegant
- Gray, reflects the comfort rooms. Even though it is different from the classic black color, it still looks visually attractive. The gray color is also very good to combine with various designs and match with any wall color
- Brown leather, brown is generally a warm and inviting color that fits any size, style and shape. Brown leather couch can transform the aesthetic of the room looks more modern
- White and light leather couch can make your living room feel more spacious. It is suitable to be combined if you have dark furniture. The downside of white leather sofa is that it gets dirty easily and is not suitable if you have pets or kids and a toddler.
- Bright leather color. Other colors that are favorite colors for sofas are bright colors like red, green or orange. These bright colors can make a strong visual impact in the room.
For your information, dye for white and bright color leather are very rare on the market. So, it is difficult to change black leather to white or black leather to red. If you intend to make drastic changes it is highly recommended to contact a professional sofa service and consult with him.
The most frequent and easiest way is changing bright colors to darker, such as gray to black, light brown to black and white to brown or maroon.
If you have decided on your favorite color and want to change the color of your old sofa to that color, you may be wondering What kind of paint should I use on a leather sofa?
2. Choose Painting method that suits you
You can use a sprayer, balm or dye to color your sofa. But choose products that have been proven and do not choose wrong product that contain harsh chemicals because it can damage your leather couch
There are many kinds of leather paint for sofas that are perfect for restoration or changing color. Here is the best product that you can get on Amazon that will perfectly help beginner to change sofa color
Using Leather Recoloring Balm
With this balm you can change light brown to Black or gray to Black leather easily. To restore the sofa this balm will work perfectly. This balm is very easy to use and proven to be permanent. It also doesn’t fade easily so it is perfect if you want to dye your white sofa to black.
How to use leather balm change the color of leather couch
- Clean your sofa corner from dust using vacuum.
- Use a damp cloth to wipe all parts of the sofa
- Put enough balm on sponge
- Apply color balm by dabbing on sofa or couch
- Let it dry in 4 hours
- Repeat as you want to get the result that you desired
- Let it dry
- Use a leather conditioner to make it more appealing.
This balm is perfect for recoloring or changing the color of your couch. But if there is any scratches or damage in your sofa, you should be better to repair it first before repainting it. To change all 4-seater sofas it takes about 3 to 4 bottles of Balm.
What makes leather sofa discolored?
Light, sweat, body oil, dust, dirt, and temperature can all affect the pH balance of the leather, thus causing a gradual loss of leather color. To prevent color fading, precautions can be taken such as routine cleaning, using conditioner to protect the leather. And don’t use cleaners made of alcohol that are too harsh because it can damage the skin color.
How much does it cost to change the color of a leather couch?
It costs you $ 500 to $ 1000 to call a professional repair service.If you repaint your own couch it will cost you around $ 50 to $ 100 to purchase the necessary color balms and equipment.
To prevent fading of leather couch color, you must know the main cause. So that your couch can last longer and does not fade easily
Can you use shoe polish on a leather sofa?
You can’t use shoe polish on your leather couch. If you want to make it shiny just use a leather conditioner. Using shoe polish on a leather sofa does not make it shiny but sticky and has a bad smell.
Does Vaseline darken leather?
I read on an online forum that Vaseline works well on a leather couch. If I have a light brown leather couch and want to make it darken, is it possible to use Vaseline?
This is an old trick used by car dealerships to make leather look better, but it’s a bad idea. Actually, petroleum jelly-based products are not recommended for use on leather sofas. This breaks down the fibers on leather and will weaken the stitches
Sure, it looks great, but it will shorten the life of your sofa. Only use products made for leather, do not use petroleum-based products like Vaseline to darken your couch leather.
Does coconut oil darken leather?
Coconut oil is used by many people as a natural leather conditioner and works for darken leather couches. But did you know that coconut oil is not recommended as a conditioner for leather products. If it is dry it will leave fat marks, unwoven and wrinkle on the leather of your sofa. Use a leather conditioner specifically for leather to get maximum results
that’s all the ways for changing the color of leather couch and sofa. No need to spend a lot of money and pay for professional repair service. Now you can repaint it by yourself easily. Share your experiences while changing the color of your sofa in the comments section