How to clean a fake leather couch – Faux leather that is usually called imitation leather, synthetic leather or plastic leather (pleather) is not a genuine leather. Most synthetic leather contains some vinyl materials.
What is the difference between genuine leather and artificial leather? We all know, even though it has a similar appearance, genuine leather has better quality with higher price and more durable than synthetic leather. Original leather can last 10-20 years with good maintenance but faux leather can’t last that long. Wrong treatment using Chemical cleaners can damage faux leather and make it stiff
Therefore, if you have synthetic leather on your sofa, the treatment is slightly different. Synthetic leather requires extra care than real leather, because improper cleaning can cause peeling skin.
So, what can you use to clean a fake leather couch? In this article, we will discuss completely how to clean synthetic leather with various kinds of problems that are perfect for beginners.
1. Clean urine stain from faux leather couch
Urine stain and smells are one of the most common problems for those of you who have babies or pets.
When your pet pees on your sofa you might be wondering, how to clean cat pee out of a fake leather couch?
If you are looking for a natural and easiest way to clean urine from fake leather, using baking soda and vinegar is a great idea, because you can easily find these materials in your kitchen and effectively remove stains and odors.
Clean urine using white vinegar and baking soda
- Clean urine as much as possible using a towel.
- Sprinkle baking soda on the stain, and let it sit for a few hours. The baking soda will help deodorize the stain.
- mix equal parts water and white vinegar and put in bottle sprayer
- Spray white vinegar on the stain covered with baking soda, and let it sit for 1 hour.
- Clean and dry it using towel or microfiber cloth
If using baking soda still not effective for removing urine stains and odors, use the alternative method
Clean urine using odor remover
- Use a towel to wipe the urine on the surface of the couch
- Press the urine on the sofa with a towel to remove the urine. Do not rub, as this can spread the urine
- To get rid of odors you can use pet n kids odor remover. Test the cleaner in a small area and less visible place to see if it damages the leather before using it. Odor cleaner will evaporate and clean the odor
- Let it dry
Some of the odor remover has strong chemical properties which can make your leather sofa change become lighter. To fix this you can recolor your sofa after cleaning process
2.Clean hard stain from white faux leather sofa
White leather couch is very prone to stains. For routine maintenance and cleaning you can use dampened microfiber cloth to remove blemishes and light stain. To clean heavier stains, use the following methods:
- Combine ½ cup olive oil with ¼ cup vinegar in a spray bottle.
- Spray on the stain, let it for 1 hour and clean using a microfiber cloth
- Use conditioner to make your couch shiny
Avoid bleach and ammonia-based cleaners because they can damage the leather.
Apart from dirty stains, the most common stains found on white leather sofas are pen and permanent marker stain, especially if you have a toddler who likes to experiment with scribbling all kinds of things.
If you find a pen stain or permanent marker on a sofa, and ask how to clean permanent marker and pen off fake leather? Here are the easiest steps:
- Dip a microfiber cloth in nail polish remover or rubbing alcohol.
- Clean the stain gently and do not rub as this can spread the ink stain
- Once the stain is gone, clean the area with a gentle solution of liquid dish soap and warm water.
- Wipe with a damp cloth.
This method has proven to be very effective in removing pen stains and permanent markers
3. Clean mold and mildew on faux leather couch
is one of the problems you often encounter if you put a leather couch in a humid environment. In addition, mold can also grow due to the wrong cleaning process, for example when you wash your sofa you don’t dry it properly so that the sofa becomes damp and moldy.
To get rid of mold problems, here are simple steps you can follow:
- Dry leather in warm room or you can dry your sofa in direct sunlight for a few hours
- Remove surface mold with a damp cloth
- Dry it once more
- Clean dried leather thoroughly with leather cleaner or baby shampoo
- Use a leather conditioner and store properly to prevent mold from returning.
4. Clean glue stain on fake leather couch
glue is indeed a stain that is rarely encountered compared to ink stains and other stains on synthetic leather sofas but if your sofa is accidentally exposed to glue, this is the most difficult stain to remove, because even though it has been cleaned it still leaves damage to your synthetic leather. To minimize the damage that occurs requires a proper cleaning process here are the easiest and the simple one:
- If it just happened and the glue hasn’t dried yet, remove as much glue as possible using a cloth dampened with water.
- Mix 4 drops of dish soap in 1 cup of warm water.
- Dip a toothbrush into the mixture and brush off the glue stain. The glue will slowly lift off
- If the glue stain is still left on your couch, apply acetone to the fiber cloth and wipe off any remaining glue. The acetone will help dissolve the glue. Try not to place acetone directly on the sofa as this is a harsh chemical that can dry out faux leather.
- Wipe the sofa with a cloth dampened in water to rinse off any liquid dish soap and acetone residue.
- Dry the area with clean towels
Before using acetone, try a bit in on the part of the sofa that is not visible to find out if your sofa is not negatively affected by acetone.
What happens if you wash a faux leather couch?
Most faux leather is made of plastic or vinyl which can be cleaned with soap or shampoo and water. Make sure to use a leather conditioner for faux leather to make it more durable
Can I use a leather cleaner on a fake leather couch?
Most of leather cleaner on the market
Can be used for faux leather and vinyl. Just make sure to read the detail description before you buy it and read manual instructions before using it.
Can I use Coconut oil on a faux leather couch?
Coconut oil on the imitation leather not only helps to keep the surface moist and shines but it also helps prevent cracking, softens and darkens the color. Apply a little coconut oil and wipe your faux leather sofa with a clean and soft microfiber cloth
Can I use a leather conditioner on a faux leather couch?
Yes, it is highly recommended to use conditioner on your imitation leather. Because imitation leather is not as strong as real leather and tends to peel easily. This type of leather is easy to clean but you should avoid it too dry
Remember, after your sofa and couch is clean, use a leather conditioner to prevent the surface from drying out and cracking. Leather conditioner can make your leather sofa shiny and resistant to future stain.
With the method above, cleaning synthetic leather becomes easier and makes your synthetic leather more durable. If you have unique experience Share your thoughts when cleaning synthetic leather sofas in the comments section!!